Letter to Italy

Dear Italy,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for providing me with the most challenging, amazing, eye opening, and memorable experience of my life thus far. The three weeks that I spent with you will be a memory that I will cherish and appreciate for the rest of my life. Not that many people get to meet you and I am blessed to have had the opportunity to do so.

I have never seen anything as beautiful as the parts of you I got to see while studying abroad this summer. 

The cobblestone streets that tripped me up at least five times a day were exactly like something out of a movie. I will always wonder how women walked those streets in high heels without breaking an ankle, but that's a mystery to be solved later. I've never been honked at and almost ran over as many times as I did during the three weeks I spent exploring your streets. Vespas and cars always have the right away in your world and I actually somewhat learned to accept that. The abundance of people showing PDA, speaking your native tongue, trying to sell me selfie sticks, and playing music is something that I can close my eyes and relive all over again.

I got to visit Pisa and Venice, as you probably recall, but your most prized treasure in my eyes is without a doubt Cinque Terre. What an amazing jewel that wonderland is. Clear blue waters, clear blue skies, and colorful buildings hanging on to the cliffs for dear life. Maybe I'm being dramatic, but this is where I had my life changing moment. This is where I realized that I was immersed within you and how absolutely amazing that was. Even after my tan fades from laying on your beaches, I will have a permanent memory of your beauty and the time when I stopped everything and just saw the beautiful world around me (I also have a lovely scar on my arm from falling while trying to climb your jagged terrain).


Last, but not least, I would love to thank you for the incredible people that you introduced me to.




My roommates were awesome and so patient with my emotional moments. I will never forget Meghan and I's random outbursts of singing and dancing or running around our room like crazy in a mosquito-killing frenzy; Monique who constantly reminded me that she hates me (even though I know she loves me deep down inside); Emily's unwavering sweetness and consideration for others as well as her crazy spell that she cast on every guy she met; and Valeria's ability to always have a good time regardless of how much sleep she did or didn't get the night before. I cannot wait until all five of us reunite soon and reminiscence on the crazy stories that we have in common.

I will always remember Veronica and her bubbly spirit. I don't think I ever saw that girl frown, even when she was picking on me for being a picky eater and whining about missing home. Our walks to class every morning are a memory that I will always cherish. Hannah's profound statements and serene personality were a nice breath of fresh air. Her uncanny ability to take amazing photographs (as demonstrated below) and make comments that I would still be thinking about the next day, are things that I couldn't forget if I tried. And we can't forget our amazing trio (Hannah, Veronica, and I) in our Social Media class which was taught by hands down the coolest teacher ever.

Now that I'm back in Charlotte and going to work everyday, I wish that I hadn't complained so much about missing this life while I was with you. Italy, you are and will always be something that I love deeply. They always say you don't know what you've got until it's gone. I knew what I had while you were still here, but now that you're gone I'm finally understanding what you were to me. I will definitely be coming back before my time on this earth is over and I can't wait to wrap you in the warmest embrace and see you with fresh, new, and appreciative eyes. Until we meet again...

Smooches,
The College Natural





2 comments

  1. Totally unrelated to this post, but I love the new layout/theme/whatever you wana call it lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I bought it off of Etsy for literally like $5.

      Delete