Conquering Those Weekly To Do's

As a teacher, one thing I have learned is that I will never ever have a to-do list that is completely checked off and completed. However, this has not stopped me from my favorite past time. It has almost become like a challenge for me to see how many of my tasks I can actually accomplish in the week. Not only has this increased my productivity but it has also made my life a lot easier in terms of turning the jumble of things in my brain into concrete projects for me to complete. Here are my tips for making and tackling your to do lists head on...




Prioritize.
Put the most important tasks towards the top of your list. This creates a sense of urgency in your mind and if you're anything like me, you like to go from top-to-bottom instead of bouncing around. Ask yourself: What do I have to do right now or today? What can be saved for tomorrow or later tonight? And make your list accordingly.

💭Pro Tip: Write everything you need to do FIRST then go back and rewrite in the order you would like to accomplish them.

Realistic Expectations.
I know sometimes we feel like we can save the world. But let's get real - we CAN save the world but it WON'T happen in one day or within one to do list. I mean, Rome wasn't built in a day. And Barcelona's Gaudi Church wasn't built in 129 years. If you have big projects, break them up into smaller tasks that are actually doable and won't make you depressed at the end of the day because you couldn't check it off your list.

Multiples.
Make more than one copy of your to do list. And put it in different formats. Maybe you have one copy in your "Notes" on your cellphone and another on a Weekly To Do's pad that you bought in the Target Dollar section and another copy in the form of sticky notes posted in random places around your apartment or work space. If you bombard yourself with your goals for the day, you can throw that "I forgot" excuse out the window.

Reframe. 
Stop looking at your tasks as tasks. Begin to look at them as goals that you are trying to reach. Who doesn't love a good goal? Calling your task a goal makes it seem like it's more for you than a chore or just something for your job. It becomes something that can be accomplished and will make you feel good about yourself. Who doesn't love a little self-affirmation?

At the end of the day, we all have things we have to get done. Let's make sure we are actually getting them done because our to do lists are just that on point.

Do you have any suggestions for how you conquer your weekly to do lists? Leave them in the comments section below! 

No comments