Pink Nail Polish



While in Italy, one of the things that I was most looking forward to upon returning home was a trip to the nail salon. I actually don't get my nails done that often, if at all, but for some reason I had a constant urge to step into the world of acetone and nail polish to pay for something that I can technically do at home for a fraction of the price. Of course just three or four days after being home, my mom and I made the drive to Love Nails to pamper ourselves.

Even if you have never been to a nail salon before, I'm sure you can imagine what one looks like. Characteristic to them all is the wall or walls of nail polish racks racked with every color you could ever imagine. Just like every other time that I had entered any nail salon, I decided that I would pick a color that I hadn't yet tried. Nevertheless, when it was my turn to sit in the chair I changed my mind from a bright blue color to a familiar shade of pink.

Leaving the nail salon, I was comforted by the prettiness of my fingers and toes. However, there was a tiny ounce of regret for putting that blue shade back on the rack. That's when I realized that I have a really bad habit of sticking to a lot of familiar things besides just the color that adorns my nails.

Like most people in the world, I have a tough time adjusting to change. For example, a few weeks before graduating high school I was sitting in my car before class and I literally just started crying. Like I had a full on panic/anxiety attack right in my car because I was thinking about how much my life was about to change. I was excited and nervous all at the same time, but definitely mostly nervous. And although I don't sit in an empty parking lot and cry anymore, I still have those feelings when anything is about to become drastically different.

Without change there is no growth. 

And what is this life if we don't spend it changing and growing with each other and ourselves? There wouldn't be iPhones, cars, electricity, or anything if one or two people didn't suck up their anxieties and worries and change something. Great things almost always come from closing our eyes and taking a giant leap of faith. And if something great doesn't come from it, a valuable lesson definitely does.

I've been writing this post for a few days now and even today something happened that made me realize how unsusceptible I am to venturing out into something different and trying new things. I decided to challenge myself and my familiarities and start embracing change instead of shunning it from my life. So next time I go to the nail salon, I'm going to pick up that bright blue or green or whatever color and stick with it this time. Death to the pink nail polish!

Smooches,
The College Natural

No comments