Expectations

Almost one week ago I began my Teach For America journey with Induction Week in Charlotte. Those first four days were tiring, exciting, eye opening and (unfortunately) tear-inducing. Some of those things I was expecting to happen (i.e. being exhausted). But others I wasn't expecting so much like meeting amazing people from the very start. When I got to Institute in Atlanta yesterday, I expected everything to go according to plan. HA! I expected (and hoped) to be teaching rising Kindergarten or 1st grade students. I'm teaching rising 5th graders. I expected that I would be comfortable enough to drive my car around Atlanta. HA! What I actually have received in a huge portion of this process is almost the exact opposite of what I've expected.

However, I have taken the mindset that things aren't going the way that I want them to go and looking at it as an opportunity for growth and self discovery. Through volunteering at Elevation Church, I've already had the chance to work with rising Kindergarten students. I have never worked with rising 5th graders. Maybe I will fall in love with this age group and completely change my mind on the grade that I would like to teach. And if I end up hating this age, it will just reinforce my desire to work with the babies.

As of this moment I am making the decision to completely abandon any expectations that I began this journey with. Obviously there are overarching expectations that I have like "personal and professional growth." But those minuscule expectations are being thrown away like a stale piece of gum that you've been munching on all day. It's time to take out a fresh piece and soak up all of the sweet flavor to get rid of the bad taste in my mouth.

I think that by taking this new approach, my summer at Institute will be a lot more fulfilling. There will be less disappointments when I "don't get what I want" when I realize that whatever I get, it is what I need. I'm excited to have this new mindset and see all of the amazing places that it will take me because I know it will be somewhere great!


No comments