Day 1: Exhaustion

So I made it to Italy!! The plane ride was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was calm and actually kind of relaxing. And to think that was the part that I was most worried about. I met up with the girl Raven from Facebook at JFK and her friend Genevieve joined us later. The flight from New York to Rome was about 7 or 8 hours and I slept almost the entire time. However... Jet lag is so real (hence the name of this post).

I think I'm still in denial about where I am. If it wasn't for this crazy time difference, being 6 hours ahead, I don't think I would feel any differently than if I were walking around Charlotte. Tomorrow I think it will sink in when we go to visit the Vatican, the Colosseum, and the Trevi Fountain. I'm actually really excited about that.

Anyway my initial thoughts about this trip is that the language barrier is going to be a lot more difficult than I anticipated. Like a typical American I assumed that most, if not all, Italians would speak English. Boy was I wrong! One of my roommates, Megan, and I literally went into a pizza shop just to leave because we didn't understand anything any of the people inside were saying to us. I almost feel like everyone is looking at us thinking that we are dumb and self centered because we don't know any Italian. We ended up finding a nice pizzeria further down the street and had some delicious pizza and wine. The pizza wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. It tasted very different than American pizza. Even the sausages had a unique taste. We also tried gelato for the first time and I'm already addicted. Soooo good!  

The hotel room is pretty nice. Megan said it reminded her of what a really nice hostel must look like. And the view from our balcony is to die for. It doesn't look like much in pictures but in person it's actually quite amazing. 

I feel like I'm beginning to ramble so I'm going to go to sleep now. I downloaded the blogger app on my phone so as long as I have wifi, I can upload a new post every single night. Pictures won't be up for awhile because wifi at this hotel is extra complicated for no apparent reason and I'm using my digital camera primarily instead of my iPhone. Anyway it's 10 pm here and I've been up for quite awhile so I'm going to hit the sack. I have a long and exciting day tomorrow! 

Smooches,
The College Natural 


2 comments

  1. Have fun! Try downloading a translator app on your phone!!! Look for one you can use offline <3

    ReplyDelete