Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started COLLEGE

1. There's no place like home...
If it was up to me and there was no such thing as out of state tuition, a school outside of North Carolina would have been ideal when I was thinking about colleges to attend. Instead I chose a university four hours away in a big city. I soon found out that was far enough. Homesick is not even the word to describe what I was during my freshman year.



2. Paramore was WRONG... 
It's not always fun living in the real world. The perfect fantasy you had of doing what you want, when you want? Throw it out the window. There are tons of things you have to do and sacrifices you have to make if you want to succeed in school. Add to that a job, and you will most likely ditch the party for a nap most weekends.



3. Things and people change... Including YOU
Although it is great to think that you are going to remain friends with everyone from high school or your hometown, chances are you are not. The sooner you accept this, the easier it will be. College is a place to reinvent yourself and make new friends. Sometimes people change into someone that you don't have anything in common with. Forcing a friendship is very unhealthy and a waste of time for both parties involved. Just move on. But with all of that being said, cherish the friends you do keep because they are hard to come by.



4. Money does not grow on trees...
Yeah you've heard your parents say this over the years, but you will never fully grasp this concept until you are a "broke college student." No matter if you have a job or your parent's support or both, money runs out super fast. And when you look into your bank account to see a negative balance, you won't even be able to remember what you spent it on (probably food).



5. Make Connections...
This is actually something that I knew a little before I started college but I know a lot of students who didn't. Connecting with your professors, advisors, and even students is very crucial to your college and professional careers. I have met so many people in the three short years that I have been in college that I know will be great people to have in my corner whenever I need anything at all and who can hopefully be able to call on me when they need a favor as well.



6. It Goes By SUPER Fast
Everyone always told me this but of course I didn't listen. Now I am weeks before my senior year of college and I wonder where all the time has gone. I have had many ups and downs during my three years of college and I know I will have more my final year. But I am going to make it a point to appreciate all of the big things and all of the little things as well because this is it.



Smooches,
The College Natural

P.S. Comment below some things that YOU wish you knew before college or things you've learned before you start your first year!


1 comment