2015: Year in Review

It all started with the Polar Plunge on January 1st... 2015 was probably one of the best years that I have had in my life. A lot of amazing things happened that I will never ever forget. I had the opportunity to study abroad, I got accepted into Teach for America, and I grew both internally (and externally). I regret absolutely nothing - not the loss of friendships, material possessions, or mindsets. This year marked the maturation of me in so many ways. Below are a few of my favorite things in 2015.

Favorite memory: Studying abroad in Italy is hands down my favorite memory of the year. Those three weeks were the most magical, beautiful, and eye opening weeks of my life. I had some amazing roommates (Val, Emily, Meghan, & Monique) who ensured that my trip was nothing short of eventful. I will always cherish the nights we spent clubbing until the break of dawn, getting lost in the city, and the trips we took on weekends to neighboring cities. I also will never forget Hannah and Veronica from my social media course. Our trip to Cinque with Isabella and the rest of our class is hands down the best part of this memory.


Favorite experiences: Concerts. This year I got to go to three concerts - Chris Brown, Nicki Minaj, and Zedd. Although the Chris Brown concert was slightly disappointing, I did get the privilege of going with my two best friends in the entire world Maya and Miraha. They finally got to meet and got to go to their very first concert. Nicki Minaj was definitely a night to remember. It was my first outdoor concert. I went with Chelsea and her roommate Mandy. Nicki is beautiful and she spoke major truth to the crowd that made me respect her not only as an artist but as a woman as well. Zedd takes the cake as far as concerts for the year go. It was my first rave. The sights, the sounds, the lights, and the people gave me such a thrill. I can't wait to go to another one.

Favorite people: All of the people who were a part of my story this year were my favorites, whether I am on speaking terms with them or not. Without them I wouldn't have grown as much as I did. I have really enjoyed getting to know new people and growing in friendship with them all. I have always said that I am not an affectionate person, and I'm still not. But, I do believe that the walls that I put a lot of energy into building are slowly crumbling down and making me a slightly more affectionate person than I was. I initiate hugs now and if you know me you know that is a big deal. I have to thank the people who have shown me love and given me the strength to change.

Favorite honor: As everybody and their mother knows, I was accepted into Teach for America this year. Because of this amazing opportunity, my life will be forever changed. Becoming a teacher is something that I feel I was destined to experience. Whether I decide to continue on to becoming a principal or I find that after two years I want to try my hand in a different field, I wholeheartedly believe that an impact will be made on my life and the lives of those that I encounter along the way.

Favorite day: On November 6, I was blessed with a beautiful nephew Amir Rashad. He is the sweetest and most beautiful little boy I have ever had the chance of meeting. Every time I see him he just takes my breath away. I love him so much and I can't wait to watch him grow. I plan on spoiling him every step of the way.


I have a ton of other things that I could talk about but then this post would be crazy long. I just wanted to pick some of my favorites to highlight a teeny bit of what made this year the best one yet. I am so thankful and blessed to be alive and to have met people, been places, and seen things that a lot of people don't get the chance to experience. I cannot wait to see what 2016 has in store for me.

Please share some of your favorite memories of 2015 in the comments below! 


No comments